There’s no need to give up some of your favorite meals when you go Paleo, and this Paleo lasagna is the perfect example!
This hearty dish will fill you up with protein rich turkey and tons of veggies. Sliced zucchini replaces noodles and a simple cashew cheese make this meal so tasty you will be begging for more!
Spicy Paleo Lasagna
Spicy Paleo Lasagna
- 1 ½ cup raw cashews, soaked
- ½ cup water
- juice of ½ large lemon
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- 4 large zucchini, sliced about ¼ inch thick
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 pound extra lean ground turkey
- 1 - 14 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 - 14 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
Want to go Paleo? Not sure where to start?
Start with this FREE Paleo For Beginners Guide Today!
- Soak the cashews for at least two hours or overnight.
- Drain cashews and place remaining cheese ingredients (1/2 cup of water, juice of 1/2 one large lemon, 1 tbsp dijon mustard, 1 garlic clove, 1/4 tsp onion powder, salt and pepper to taste) into a blender or food processor and blend until creamy.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Place sliced zucchini on the baking sheet and sprinkle with salt and roast in the oven for 15-20 minutes to help dry out the zucchini a bit. Once cooked set aside cool.
- While the zucchini is roasting, prepare a meat sauce. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Sauté garlic and onions a few minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions become translucent. Add ground turkey and cook 8-10 minutes until no longer pink.
- Add in tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for 25 to 30 minutes or until sauce thickens up. Remove from heat to cool.
To assemble lasagna:
- Raise oven temperature to 400 degrees.
- Spread ¼ of the turkey meat sauce into the bottom of 9×9 baking pan.
- Place ⅓ of the zucchini slices evenly over meat sauce and spread on ⅓ of the cheese mixture.
- Repeat another layer starting with the meat sauce, zucchini slices and cheese mixture.
- Finish the last layer with meat sauce, zucchini and the last of the meat sauce. Reserving the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 45 minutes to an hour, or until bubbly around the edges. Layer on the last of the cheese and bake for 5 additional minutes.